INTO AND ABOVE THE GLACIER
A truly amazing adventure. First you get to snowmobile across the vast snowy wastes of an Icelandic glacier. Then you descend deep into the ice cap and explore its wonderful icy netherworld though a huge man-made tunnel.
We set off from Reykjavík towards Húsafell in Borgarfjörður. Step on board Reykjavik Sightseeing´s all new bus fleet, equipped with computer tablets in each seat. On the tablets you can use our GPS Sensitive In Bus Audio Guide, available in 10 languages. So, if you wish to know interesting facts about Iceland and the places you will visit on the tour in a language that you are likely to be comfortable with, that is very possible. Onboard you will also find a USB Charger and free WiFi. Should you have any questions during the tour, you can ask the host on board who will happy assist you.
From Húsafell we will start our ascent to the Langjökull Ice Cap. We begin our snowmobiling trip from the base camp at Jaki, on the west side of the Glacier. After putting on the necessary clothing and getting our helmets, we listen to the safety briefing from our guide. Then we´re ready to drive off across the glacier´s vast snowy wasteland and marvel at the incredible surroundings.
After snowmobiling we literally walk down into a magnificent man-made Ice Cave beneath the ice cap. Your expert guide will take you on this fantastic journey to the icy netherworld deep within the glacier.
Until very recently what lies beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. But sometimes bold ideas do become a reality. This seemingly impossible feat was made possible through the combined efforts of the country´s top engineers and geo-physicists. Inside the glacier the temperature is usually around zero degrees Celsius or 32 Fahrenheit.
After snowmobiling and exploring the Ice Cave we make our way back to civilisation, or to the small village of Húsafell. After the day´s amazing adventures you can soak in the thermal swimming pool or relax in the hot tub. Truly a day to remember!
- Day Tour from Reykjavik Into Ice &
- Pick up is 30 minutes before your departure at your hotel
- Departure at 08:00 during summer and 07:45 during winter from Reykjavik Sightseeing main terminal
- IN-BUS-AUDIO GUIDE
- Available in English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean & Finnish
- Stop at the spectacular Hraunfossar waterfalls
- Lunch stop at Husafell
- Snowmobile Tour on Langjökull glacier
- Guided tour in English Into the Glacier´s Ice tunnel and caves
- Estimated arrival back in Reykjavik is around 7pm (19:00)
- Into ice and lava – day tour with Reykjavik Sightseeing
- Hotel pick up OUTSIDE the hotel/guesthouse (the drivers do not go inside the hotel)
- Stop at Hraunfossar, Husafell and Langjokull glacier
- Snowmobile Tour on Langjökull glacier and Into the Glacier´s ice tunnel and caves.
- Entrance into the glacier
- In-bus audio guide with a choice of languages:
- English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean & Finnish
- Free WiFi in glacier vehicles
- Drop off at your hotel in Reykjavik